ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’S SERIES WATCHING ALL LOCAL SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE BY CLICKING HERE
RECORD 2021: 9-3
- The last time Benson played a game without Chris Determan as head coach was 2002, so things around the program will have a different feel.
- Determan was not retained by Benson after compiling a career record of 143-85-1 in 20 years at school. The school athletic director Chris Taylor said this week that a new football coach had yet to be hired.
- Benson was raised to 3A from 2A by the AIA. The school’s appeal to stay in 2A was denied, so the Bobcats will compete in 3A South with Palo Verde, Pusch Ridge, Sabino, Safford and Thatcher.
- The Bobcats will still face traditional rivals from their Day 2As — Tombstone, Willcox and Bisbee — in the out-of-region schedule. The home game against Tombstone on August 19 kicks off the season. Benson will next play at San Tan Foothills, at home to Willcox and then Bisbee.
- The 3A South schedule begins Sept. 16 at Pusch Ridge, which defeated the Bobcats at Benson in Game 1 of last season.
- Benson then hosts Palo Verde, has a week off and plays Thatcher before playing Phoenix Christian on October 14. The regular season then ends with a home game against Safford and then a game at Sabino.
TO FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
Javier Morales, publisher, writer and editor of ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com, is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star Beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News, and Baseball America, among many other publications. He is also the author of the book “The Highest Life Form”, which is available on Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is currently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.